1 cup sprouted quinoa (see Note)
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup hemp hearts
1 cup minced parsley
1½ cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
1½ cups seeded and finely diced cucumber
½ cup cashews, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons minced mint
1½ tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon garam masala
- Rinse the sprouted quinoa, in a fine-meshed colander, under running water. Drain well.
- Combine the quinoa, water, and salt in a 2-quart pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat, cover, and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Place the cooled quinoa in a large bowl and toss in the remaining ingredients.
- The Quinoa Hemp Tabbouleh with Cashews will keep for 3 days, covered, and refrigerated.
Note: How to sprout quinoa:
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Place it into a 1-quart mason jar and fill the jar to the top with filtered water. Soak the quinoa for 8 hours.
- After it has soaked pour off the water, cover the top of the jar with a fine mesh sprouting lid or cheesecloth and a rubber band.
- Fill the jar with more water to rinse the quinoa, then pour it out and set the jar with sprouting lid on upside down on a bowl or container to catch excess dripping water.
- It will take about 8 hours for the thread-like sprouts to form.
- Store the sprouted quinoa in the refrigerator and use within a few days.