Fresh Marinara Sauce
2 medium-size tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 ounce (3/4 cup) sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 2 hours and drained
1/8 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced
1 Tbsp. minced onion
4 large fresh basil leaves, minced
1/2 small clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. dry oregano leaves, crushed
1/8 tsp. sea salt (or, to taste)
freshly ground pepper
1 cup Almond Ricotta Cheese (see pg. 28)
1/2 small eggplant, peeled, thinly sliced, and soaked in salted water to cover for 30 minutes
3 cups (packed) spinach leaves, washed, dried, and minced
8 medium-size mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- Combine ingredients for Sauce in food processor and puree.
- Line a 22" x 12" loaf pan with a large double layer of cheesecloth, so that the cloth drapes over all sides of the pan.
- To assemble, drain eggplant and pat dry. Place one layer of eggplant on top of the cheesecloth at the bottom of the loaf pan. Evenly spread 1/3 of the Marinara Sauce on top.
- Place 1/2 of the sliced mushrooms evenly over the sauce and spread 1/2 of the Almond Ricotta Cheese on top.
- Evenly distribute 1/2 of the ground spinach over the top of the Almond Ricotta Cheese and press firmly into place.
- Repeat steps 3 -- 5 using 1/2 of the Marinara and all of the remaining ingredients -- layering them on top of the first layer.
- Cover the top with the remaining Marinara Sauce.
- Lifting the cheesecloth, carefully remove lasagna, and slice into 4 pieces. Serve at room temperature or gently heated.