Living Light Culinary Institute is proud to offer a nutrition certification program exploring the benefits of a raw vegan diet and its impact on overall health and well-being. This groundbreaking series of courses was designed by Living Light nutrition faculty members Vesanto Melina, MS, RD and Brenda Davis, RDleading experts in the field of vegan and raw food nutrition. Between them, Brenda and Vesanto have written more than a dozen books, including Becoming Vegan (Comprehensive and Express Editions), Becoming Raw, and The Raw Food Revolution Diet. No other raw vegan nutrition course can match the comprehensive curriculum and level of experience these two women bring to our plant-based nutrition program. The knowledge that you’ll gain from this series of classes will prove invaluable to you in your life and work, and will enable you to help others achieve a healthier lifestyle.
The 3-part series culminates in an Advanced Raw Food Nutrition Educator Certification. In this series of courses, you’ll have your questions answered regarding the role of nutrition and the consequences of our food choices, as well as common fallacies regarding raw food and plant-based nutrition. You will also learn how to prepare menus for a variety of conditions and learn how to build a health-based business that will benefit your students and clients.
This research-based curriculum is suitable for raw foods enthusiasts as well as for those who would simply like to increase their intake of raw plant foods. Whether you are interested in nutrition for your own personal health or weight management concerns, or you aspire to be—or are currently—a health professional, this course will enrich your life and provide you with the confidence to influence others in a positive way. These classes are excellent for chefs, health professionals, wellness practitioners, lifestyle coaches, yoga and massage therapists, and anyone who wants a science-based foundation in nutrition.
Raw Vegan Nutrition Level 1™
This course provides a broad and comprehensive understanding of plant-based nutrition that is fundamental to creating an optimal raw food diet. The material is suitable for raw foods enthusiasts who are fine tuning their diets as well as for those who are simply increasing their intake of raw plant foods. It is an excellent course for chefs, health professionals, and those who want a science-based foundation in nutrition. We will answer questions such as:
- Can we survive and thrive, nutritionally, on a raw vegan diet?
- What are the various types of raw food diets? Are some better than others?
- How will we get enough protein?
- Does a plant based diet provide every one of the essential amino acids?
- How can we meet our recommended intake for iron and avoid anemia?
- Can raw food diets supply sufficient calcium and vitamin D for optimal bone health?
- Does a plant-based diet supply sufficient iodine, zinc, and other trace minerals?
- Do we need vitamin B12 supplements?
- Are carbohydrates good or bad?
- How can we best maintain our blood sugar and energy levels between meals?
- Are some fats essential for good health, and some to be avoided?
- What protective components are present in raw plant foods, beyond all the vitamins, minerals, and protein?
- What are some of the benefits of raw food diets, and what are the nutritional challenges?
- How can all the information about 13 vitamins, 16 minerals, protein, fats, and carbohydrate be assembled into a single food guide for optimal health?
This course will provide answers to these and other common questions about raw food, vegan, vegetarian, and plant-based diets. The presentation for each topic is fun and easy to understand, and allows time for questions and discussion after each section. You will leave this course empowered—with a firm foundation of nutritional science that will help you to successfully incorporate raw and living foods into your daily diet. In addition to the information-packed classes, there will be a final question and answer session at the conclusion of the program.
Class Length: 12 hours (2 days)
Prerequisites: There is no prerequisite for this two-day course. This course is a prerequisite for Raw Vegan Nutrition Level 2™ and Raw Vegan Nutrition Level 3: Educator Training™.
Certifications: This course is required for these certifications - Raw Culinary Arts Associate Chef and Instructor Training Certification™, Pastry Arts-Unbaked Certification, Gourmet Raw Food Chef Certification™, Raw Culinary Arts Professional Chef Certification™, and Advanced Raw Food Nutrition Health Educator Certification™.
Required Text: Becoming Raw is the textbook for this course and is fully referenced and written in a way that is reader friendly and appealing for nutrition enthusiasts and for health professionals.
Meals: Meal plans are available for purchase.
Additional Information: There is no wifi service available in this classroom. Students are welcome to use the free wifi available in the building lobby during breaks and lunch.