Sharpen Up Your Knife Skills!™
Our Sharpen Up Your Knife Skills!™ class is designed for all levels of expertise, from novice through professional instructor — taking a progressive approach to the development of knife skills through demonstration, hands-on practice and reference materials.
Over the years, we have done our best to help students develop their knife skills in the limited time they are with us. They see short demonstrations in FUNdamentals and in Essentials they practice their skills in all hands-on classes. Nevertheless, many students stay in on their lunch hours for additional practice time and still request more intensive knife skills classes.
Good knife skills are the foundation of culinary art. The textures created influence not only the appearance of food but also the flavor and mouthfeel.
In this class you will learn:
- Evaluating knives: which knives for which task
- Anatomy of a knife
- Knife safety
- Ergonomics: proper body positioning
- Proper way to grip a knife
- Using the rocking motion when slicing
- Perfectly portioned cuts: Batonnette, Julienne, Fine Julienne, Dice (medium, small, micro), Paysane, Rondelle-styles Lozenge/Diamond Cut
- Slice, julienne, dice onions
- Cut, seed, and julienne bell peppers
- Fillet and veneer: fillet bell pepper to remove skin, continuous peel apples and tomatoes, make tomato roses, shave thin sheets of cucumber
- Cut fruits like mangoes, pineapple, coconuts, apples, pears, avocados, section citrus fruits and zest the skin
- Garnishes: green onion flowers and ferns, pepper jacks, radish mushroom, red onion chrysanthemum, open coconut and remove flesh using a rubber spatula
- Knife care—keeping your knives sharp and storing them properly
Even if you don’t aspire to be a professional chef, this is a class that will help you gain much more confidence in your knife skills and become more efficient in meal preparation. We provide premium Mac Santoku style knives to use during the course. The required text is not included. For those who intend to purchase knives, they will be available at the Living Light Marketplace.
This course is a prerequisite for Essentials of Raw Living Foods™ and Raw Culinary Arts Associate Chef and Instructor Training™ courses.
This course is one of the required courses for Raw Culinary Arts Associate Chef and Instructor Training™ series, Advanced Raw Culinary Arts Instructor Certification™ series, Gourmet Raw Food Chef™ series, and Raw Culinary Arts Professional Chef™ series.
When: 9:00 am–6:00 pm (no host lunch 1–2 pm)
Required Text: Knife Skills Illustrated by Peter Hertzmann (not included in tuition cost)
Closed-toed shoes are required. Paring knife and safety glove (for mandoline use) are required to fully participate in class. Kitchen equipment may be purchased at the Living Light Marketplace upon your arrival or you can shop online ahead of your series start date.
There is no meal service on this class day.
Class Schedule and Tuition
Please refer to our schedule of raw foods classes and workshops.
Living Light Center, Fort Bragg, CA.
Connect With Us