When Living Light directors Cherie Soria and Dan Ladermann purchased the historic Colonial Inn, they had several things in mind. They wanted to create a beautiful, safe, comfortable environment for students at the Living Light Culinary Institute, as well as an elegant, eco-friendly environment for other guests and travelers visiting Fort Bragg and the Mendocino Coast. They also wanted to maintain the “standard of excellence” that is the goal of each business associated with the Living Light name.
What makes Living Light Inn unique and special is a combination of the old and the new. There’s the wonderful 1912 craftsman style architecture: the building was constructed by shipbuilders using virgin redwood lumber of a size and quality that cannot be found today, and the graceful landscaped grounds add to its charm. There’s the excellent location in one of the most beautiful residential neighborhoods in Fort Bragg, which is just steps away from the newly refurbished and restored Cotton Auditorium, and within walking distance of all of the city’s amenities, including shops, restaurants, churches, and Living Light Center in the Company Store. There’s the fact that all of the windows in the rooms actually open so that you can breathe the fresh sea air. And, Living Light Inn is also the highest building in the neighborhood, providing the ocean view rooms with sweeping vistas of the town and the ocean beyond.
Then there are the newly decorated, beautifully appointed rooms, and the state-of-the-art water filtration system, which includes filtered water to shower and bathe in and an additional reverse osmosis filtration system for drinking. All the linens and bedding in the rooms are organic, and only ecological cleaning supplies are utilized throughout the property, a boon for anyone with allergies or sensitivities to chemicals. Also, Living Light Inn recycles and composts on site as part of its commitment to protecting the environment.
There are two wood-burning fireplaces as well as beautiful original art and elegant furnishings in this architectural jewel, with common guest areas designed for visiting, reading, studying, and relaxation.
The new names for the rooms reflect both the historical ambiance of the building and the atmosphere created by the new décor. Prosperity, Adventure, Inspiration, Harmony, Well-Being, Tranquility, Abundance, Serenity, World Peace and Joy are uniquely outfitted for a variety of tastes and moods.
The first guests at the Living Light Inn have been delighted with their experience. A recent guest said “It feels like coming home—if home were a beautiful, cozy mansion”, and another commented: “I like it better than the Ritz!”
TOP 10 REASONS TO STAY WITH US
- The Living Light Inn is a 1912 craftsman-style architectural jewel, located in the most beautiful residential neighborhood in Fort Bragg.
- The Inn has beautifully landscaped grounds with flowering trees, palms, and redwoods, and it’s an easy walk to the Living Light Center, downtown shops, and restaurants.
- All rooms have windows that open, with lots of fresh air and self controlled heat.
- The Living Light Inn is the tallest building in the town and most rooms have lovely ocean or garden views.
- All the rooms are beautifully decorated and are outfitted with organic bedding and linens.
- All water in the building is filtered, including the water you bathe in, with a special reverse osmosis filtration system in the kitchen.
- All cleaning products are vegan, non-toxic, and biodegradable. Living Light Inn also recycles and composts waste.
- There’s a raw food kitchen with lots of windows. The kitchen is equipped with high speed blender, juicer, dehydrator, food processor, and other supplies for raw food preparation. There is also a washer and dryer for your convenience.
- Students enjoy making food together on weekends, playing together, and forming study groups. It’s great to stay with other like-minded raw food students and be a part of the extended Living Light family.
- Living Light students receive substantial discounts on rooms, with deeper discounts for longer stays, and the opportunity to share rooms with other students of the same gender.
Best of all, students tell us, “Returning to Living Light Inn after class feels like coming home!”