Thai Red Curry Kabocha Squash Soup
by Vinnette Thompson
4 cups shredded coconut
4 cups coconut water
1 cup young coconut meat
½ cup orange juice
2-inch piece of ginger, peeled
1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
8 Kaffir lime leaves
2 tablespoons tamari
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon date paste
1 teaspoon Thai red chili paste
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic
1 small bird chili
6 cups peeled and shredded Kabocha squash
6 cups boiling water
- To make the Coconut Milk, blend the coconut and the water together in a high-performance blender. Strain the mixture through a nut milk bag.
- Add the soup base ingredients to the blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Strain through a nut milk bag.
- Wash out the blender container and pour the soup base back into the clean blender container. Set aside.
- Blanch the shredded kabocha squash in hot water by pouring the hot water over the shredded squash. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes, then strain off the water from the squash.
- DO NOT put squash in cold water. Add the squash directly to the blender.
- Continue blending until totally smooth.
- Serve immediately, or soup can be kept warm in the dehydrator until ready to serve.